Friday 6 May 2016

Japanese Songs are Poetic | Rant 02

Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge (left) Darker Than Black (middle top) Naruto Shippuden (middle bottom) Ao Haru Ride (right)


One thing that I notice when I am watching anime especially openings is the song lyrics. When I read the translation of the song, I can’t help but think

“Hey, this is the perfect letter for your loved one back in the medieval times.”

Because it’s romantic asf. 



I mean, it is so romantic and poetic that you could use these lyrics to express your love. The lyrics are so meaningful and sometimes deep as if you are being wooed by a devoted lover. I sometimes get sad that the mainstream English music today has lost the meaningful and poetic side to it.

*cough* Twerk It Like Miley, Anaconda, Wiggle*cough* (Can they please stop singing songs about butts?)

Yes, they might have catchy beats and it’s fun and enjoyable, but sometimes I wish that some singers would write lyrics that are actually quite deep or elegant.

Yes, Charlie Puth’s One Call Away may be romantic but compare this:

I'm only one call away
I'll be there to save the day
Superman got nothing on me
I'm only one call away

Call me, baby, if you need a friend
I just wanna give you love
C'mon, c'mon, c'mon
Reaching out to you, so take a chance

No matter where you go
You know you're not alone

To this:

Ah, on the nights that I think of you
In the midst of the sweet scented breeze
I can feel soothing tenderness pass through me
It hurts because I know painfully well 
That it will be sad when the conversation ends
Now I’ve detached myself
From the freedom called loneliness

(Slow by Kiyoharu | Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge opening theme song)


It’s like a freaking poem written for your paramour.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying that all English music lyrics are meaningless and all Japanese songs are very passionate and poetic. There are always different sides. But my point is, the fact that they have songs like this (and a whole lot more) is very amazing and as a fan of literature, I have newfound respect to opening theme songs or Japanese songs in general.

You might think, One Call Away shouldn’t be the song that I compared to this because there are more songs that are more meaningful than that. And you’re probably right. But I have yet to find an English song lyrics to rival Slow.

(If you have one, suggest it on the comments below :D)

My bet is the old songs (that my parents love to listen to).

More Japanese song lyrics translated to English:

You say if you could fly, you'd never come back down
You only have eyes for that blue, blue sky
you've yet to learn what sadness is
and are just now grasping what pain is like
even the feeling I have for you
must be expressed with words
As you awaken from a dream into an unknown world
Spread your wings and take flight
you say if you could fly, you'd never come back down
You aimed for those white, white clouds
You know if you can just make it through, you’ll find what you seek
so keep trying to break free, to that blue, blue sky
That blue, blue sky
That blue, blue sky

(Blue Bird by Ikimono Gakari | Naruto Shippuden opening theme song)

The whole world is falling in love, an arrow of light striking their chests
I want to understand you
"Hey, tell me"

When our words miss each other, just a few tears of regret flow
Busy feelings link together in our hearts
I want to make sure it's tuned correctly

I'm entirely taken by my motives,
I lose sight of what is important, run away
And restart today again

(The World is Falling in Love by CHiCO | Ao Haru Ride opening theme song)


But sometimes I have a hard time comprehending what it means. Just like this song:


Smash the final glass to bits, kick out the familiar landscape
And jump clear of the daily grind where the world revolves in reverse
No matter where I face, I feel your shadow adjacent to mine
I chase after it in a trance, but I won't fulfill my ideal
Hope and an inferiority complex flow about inside me; one day, they'll change into terror (inferiority complex? Really? XD)
Even when the anxiety you keep pushing aside gives rise to agony again
And it's so painful you just want to run away, you're never alone
The wind that gently wraps me up fights; fantasies mix with courage and change into reality
Smash the final glass to bits, kick out the familiar landscape
And jump clear of the daily grind where the world revolves in reverse
He won't let anyone negate the existence of your own body and all that entails
The nameless hero who couldn't even fly will entrance the world

A moment's worth of glory, where honor and status won't turn to dust
It's so absurd to make mountains out of molehills
I'm not afraid of being charged with the sin of finding someone dear & forcing my will on her (this part… is not too nice XD)


 (The Hero Without A Name by Antic Cafe | Darker Than Black opening theme song)


1 comment: